Wednesday 7 December 2011

...entering the skinny debate... sort of

It has been announced in the news that 15 year old Julia Schneider from Sweden has one this years Elite Model Look contest. This girl is a classic beauty, tall, lithe, blonde, jutting cheek bones... she undoubtedly deserves such an accolade.  My problem is her age.  At 15 she is, by any standards, very young.  My difficulty with this isn't the normal arguements "she should be at school" "she should be behaving like a normal child". My problem is that this girl will now grace the cover of Vogue and Elle and be featured in editorials, and be projected as an aspirational image.  How can an image of a 15 year old girl be aspirational?! The same goes for Hailee Steinfeld and Elle Fanning, while obviously very pretty girls, I have absolutely no desire to want to be more like them! At 23, I am myself very young as it is, however what about the late 20's and 30 somethings who still read Vogue and Elle? How are we supposed to compete with these ideals for youth as beauty? There are hundreds upon thousands of creams and procedures, but why should we? Competing with 13, 14 and 15 year old's is just getting plain ridiculous. I wonder what your thoughts are on this?  A little bit contentious for me, I know!

Gingie x

No comments:

Post a Comment